Yogurt + Granola is one of my favourite things to eat for breakfast, but most of the store-bought granola is high in sugar, saturated fat, and is full of fillers and unnecessary ingredients. Making granola at home is super quick and easy, and it allows you to customize the ingredients and add in things you love!
Whole grain oats are filled with nutrients and vitamins like fiber, protein, folate, iron and magnesium. I buy regular whole rolled oats, make sure you don’t buy anything that says ‘instant’ as that usually means the oats are highly processed.
This recipe is very customizable, but these are the ingredients I add to mine, and I love the way it turns out! One of my favourite things about making granola is the amazing cinnamon + vanilla scent that fills my house.
Healthy Homemade Granola
- 3 cups rolled oats (not instant!)
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I usually add a bit more, I love cinnamon!)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (you can use any mild vegetable oil!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped raw or toasted nuts or seeds
- 1/2 cup small-dice dried fruit (optional)
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Place oats, nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and stir to combine; set aside.
- Place the honey, oil, and vanilla in a small bowl and stir to combine. Pour over the oat mixture and mix until oats are thoroughly coated.
- Spread the mixture in a thin, even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir and continue baking until the granola is a light golden brown, about 10 minutes more.
- Place the baking sheet on a wire rack, and cool the granola to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. It will harden as it cools!
- If you’re adding dried fruit, add it in now!